Welcome to the Hendy School Counseling Page!
Hello! My name is Madeline Mathews and I am the new School Counselor at Hendy Elementary School. I am excited to be here, and I am looking forward to working with all the students, staff and parents at Hendy. It is my 12th year as a School Counselor in the Elmira City School District. I have worked at Broadway Elementary School, Southside High School and Elmira Free Academy.
I have included information about the school counseling program at Hendy and other links that may be helpful. As your School Counselor, I will be visible in the classrooms assisting and teaching lessons to promote healthy development. The lessons' themes align with the grade level curriculum and the National School Counseling Standards.
Individual counseling is offered on a short-term basis. Group counseling is set up with parent permission on various topics as need arises. Topics may include friendship, anger management study and organizational skills.
Communication between home and school are key to student success. Feel free to contact me if you have questions, concerns or suggestions to improve the program. I look forward to working with you, and I welcome your e-mails and phone calls.
Mrs. Madeline Mathews
Phone: (607) 735-3753
Hendy's school counseling program goal is to provide a safe and supportive environment for all students regardless of individual differences. All students will have access to support and learning in the areas of academic, career, personal and social growth. The goal is for students to make self-directed, realistic and responsible decisions, and successfully contribute to their school, home, and community.
We believe that all students have a right to...
- A safe and supportive environment
- Be respected and valued
- To service that supports academic, career, personal, and social growth.
- A professional school counselor who works with educators, parents, and community resources and acts as an advocate to develop the full potential of students.
And that our School Counseling Program...
- Is developmental and proactive in design
- Is comprehensive in scope
- Utilizes the American School Counseling Association (ASCA) National Standards as the basis for developing the program.
- Is an integral part of educational program for student success
- Uses data driven intentional guidance activities
- Is preventive in nature
- Seeks improvement each year based on student data
"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."
- Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.