Elmira City School District
2014-2015 FALL SPORTS PARENT MEETING
A pre-season meeting for athletes and parents for fall sports participants will be held on Tuesday, August 26th at 5:00 p.m. The meeting will be held in the auditorium at the Elmira High School.
If your child is participating in a fall sport, this meeting is mandatory.
After a brief meeting in the auditorium, individual team meetings will take place in various classrooms at which time you can meet your child’s coach.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Please be sure to sign in upon arrival AND
at the individual team meetings.
Fall Sports Practices Begin
Monday, August 18, 2014
|JV Cheerleading||Broadway Academy Gym||5-8 p.m.|
|Varsity Cheerleading||Broadway Academy Gym||5-8 p.m.|
|Cross Country||Ernie Davis Academy by weight room lobby/walking bridge||9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.|
|Varsity and JV Football||Ernie Davis Academy||9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m.|
|Varsity Boys Soccer||Elmira High School||8:30 a.m.|
|JV Boys Soccer||Elmira High School JV Soccer Field||8:30 - 10:00 a.m.|
|Varsity Girls Soccer||Ernie Davis Academy
(Top Grass Field by Baseball)
|8:30 - 10:30 a.m.|
|Ernie Davis Academy (Varsity Turf)||6-8 p.m.|
|JV Girls Soccer||Ernie Davis Academy/Baseball field||8:30 - l0:30 a.m. and 6-8 p.m.|
|Varsity Volleyball||Ernie Davis Academy||4:45 - 7 p.m.|
|JV Volleyball||Ernie Davis Academy||4:45 - 7 p.m.|
|Varsity Boys Golf||Mark Twain Golf Course||11:45 a.m.|
|Varsity Girls Swim||Ernie Davis Academy pool||4 - 6:30 p.m.|
|Modified Football||Ernie Davis Academy football field||8 a.m - 10:30 a.m. (8/25/14)|
ALL STUDENTS MUST BE CLEARED BY THE NURSE BEFORE TRYING OUT FOR A SPORT - WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CLEARED YET FOR A FALL SPORT
Start dates for fall sports:
- Mon. Aug. 18th - all JV and Varsity sports, plus modified cross-country
- Mon., Aug. 25th - modified football
- Mon. Sept. 9th (after school begins) - modified soccer and volleyball
All athletes must be cleared to participate by the nurse's office before they can practice. Students whose sport begins in Aug., and who have not yet completed the clearance process, must come to the nurse's office during one of the following times:
Thursday, Aug. 14th - 8:30-11:30 a.m. or 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Friday, Aug.15th - 8:30-11:30 a.m. only
Monday, Aug. 18th - 8:30-11:30 a.m. only
Tuesday, Aug. 19th - 8:30-11:30 a.m. only
- ATHLETES FROM ALL SCHOOLS will report to the former Ernie Davis Middle School on Lake St. - do NOT report to the new Davis Academy (formerly EFA)!!!
- The only middle school athletes who should come in during the summer are football and cross-country candidates
- Modified soccer and volleyball candidates should not come in during the summer - they should report to their school nurse when school begins
Paperwork that must be submitted by athletes:
- Preparticipation health history form and concussion information form, completed and signed by athlete and parent/guardian (both available on district website)
- Documentation of a physical examination done by a physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner on or after Aug. 1, 2013
- Do not give paperwork to your coach - ONLY the school nurse can clear you for tryouts
- For more in-depth info about sports sign-ups, please click sports sign-ups at left side of this screen
NOTE: NO PHYSICALS WILL BE DONE AT SCHOOL - ATHLETES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING THEIR OWN PHYSICALS AND BRINGING IN DOCUMENTATION. (The only exception is students who are new entrants to the district for the fall, including foreign exchange students.)
Athletic Department Mission Statement
The Elmira City School District will promote participation and sportsmanship to develop good citizens through interscholastic activities which provide equitable opportunities, positive recognition and learning experiences to students while maximizing the achievement of educational goals. Through our athletic programs we will offer unique situations outside the classroom-but within the high school environment. The purposes to be achieved from our Interscholastic Athletic and Intramural programs in the Elmira City school District will include the following:
- Provide students with the opportunity to experience self-discipline, sacrifice, and dedication as a means of achieving goals.
- Provide students with the opportunity to engage in cooperative activities and to come to understand the word "compete" means "to strive together".
- Provide students with the opportunity to exemplify good sportsmanship as a means of learning good citizenship.
- Provide students with the opportunity for experiences in problem solving and decision making.
- Provide students with the opportunity to engage in organized activities with other students whose backgrounds and academic abilities may be dissimilar from their own.
- Provide students with the opportunity to understand and practice the principles of sound health, safety and physical fitness.
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop the ability and desire to use their time effectively.
- Demonstrate to students that real, lasting satisfaction comes not so much from "winning" per se' as from doing the job to the best of your ability.
- Provide students with the opportunity to experience a feeling of self-worth and to develop self-confidence.
- Provide students with the opportunity to experience working as a member of a team in order to achieve a goal, and, in the process, learn that cooperation and competition are not mutually exclusive concepts.
We will promote high standards of ethics, sportsmanship, and personal conduct by encouraging administration, coaches, staff, student athletes and community to commit to these high standards. We will at all times, maintain a comprehensive athletic program which seeks the highest development of all participants, and which respects the individual dignity of every athlete. We are the Elmira City School District!
Director of Health, Physical Education & Athletics