The Fourth Grade Child
Highlighted Art Concept:
Culture and Art History
Fourth graders can understand how artists express themselves and their cultural identities through art. New York State fourth grade social studies curriculum focuses on New York state history. Elmira has an abundance of resources to help teach local history including a robust artistic community that appreciates and values art, past and present.
Examples of Art Lessons for the Fourth Grade Child:
- Create a clay vessel similar to one made by early Native Americans. (Iroquois slab pot)
- Use a straw loom to create a sash, headband, bracelet or necklace using stripes or related colors.
- Paint using the style of early American folk artists or the Hudson River School.
- Create a square as part of a quilt patchwork design.
- Plan art lessons based on a visit to local museum or historical
- Arnot Art Museum www.arnotartmuseum.org
- Chemung Valley History Museum www.chemungvalleymuseum.org
- John W. Jones Museum www.johnwjonesmuseum.org
- Mark Twain Study www.elmira.edu
- National Warplane Museum www.wingsofeagles.com
- The Newtown Battlefield nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/107/details.aspx
- The Rockwell Museum of Western Art www.rockwellmuseum.org
- The Corning Museum of Glass www.cmog.org
- The Glenn H. Curtis Aviation Museum www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org